The Zähringer Castle
Of the Zähringer castle, which was first mentioned in a document in the 12th century, only the castle tower from the 13th century remains today. You can get the keys to the castle tower in the forest restaurant and climb it. From above, you have a wonderful view of the surrounding valleys! An absolute highlight for adults and younger explorers!
The «Zähringerburg» forest restaurant was built in 1655 and has been home to a snack bar for hikers since the 18th century – which of course has changed significantly since then
Mit dem Auto ab der Freiburger Stadtmitte:
- Direction Zähringen into Habsburger Straße
- Zähringer Straße follow the tram lines to the last stop for line 2
- Turn right into Reutebachgasse
- Before the railway underpass, turn left into Wildtalstrasse and immediately right again into Pochgasse
- Always uphill through the residential area – then another three kilometers through the forest
Navigation devices usually cannot find the address of the restaurant – please follow the description above.
Go on an excursion and hike to the Zähringerburg! The hike mentioned below offers you wonderful views of the surrounding valleys and leads mostly through the pleasantly shady forest.
The tour starts at Gundelfingen train station, which can be reached by S-Bahn or regional express in 10 minutes from Freiburg Central Station.
Length: 13 km, 500 meters in altitude, about 5 hours
Difficulty level: medium
Refreshmentsat the Waldgasthaus
or the hiking trail to download, please refer to the following >>link
The website of the restaurant with information on opening hours and directions can be found >here
Hotel Oberkirchs Weinstube